As AI methods proliferate throughout society, it is critical that the technology leaders of tomorrow have rigorous and deep training in the ethical implications of computational systems. The AI in Ethics Working Group (AIEWG), in collaboration with the Center for the Study of Ethics in the Profession (CSEP)
, is committed to leading innovative educational and research efforts in this emerging area.
AIEWG works on writing research articles, organizing workshops and reading groups, and developing research proposals relevant to the integration of AI, ethics, and social impact. Questions of interest include:
- What are the key ethical issues in the application of AI?
- What are the research areas where AI can contribute to the improvement of society?
- What are the views of the broader population towards AI? What factors influence those views?
- How can we integrate ethics into our technical curriculum to better train our students and faculty in ethical thinking?
- What are the institutional strengths of Illinois Tech that we can build upon to position ourselves in this area?